MPA is currently accepting inquiries for a Community Organizer located in Portland, Maine.
MPA community organizers are responsible for recruiting new members, developing their leadership, and building volunteer team that works to advance the priorities of the organization. This is a full time position, working 40 hours per week, and reporting directly to the Organizing Director.
MPA seeks a community organizer whose responsibilities will include supporting MPA’s campaigns through:
- Doing weekly recruitment of new MPA members
- Developing local activities, trainings, and committees (that are parallel to activities and committees in other regions and that align with organizational campaigns) to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities for MPA members
- Identify leadership potential in MPA volunteers, and developing work plans that provide opportunities for new skills and leadership opportunities
- Creating a local leadership team that helps with recruitment, running committees, and developing new leaders
- Meeting grassroots fundraising goals
- Leveraging social media (Twitter, Facebook) to enhance on-the-ground organizing efforts
- A qualified applicant should possess:
- Self-motivation and an ability to successfully work independently, as part of a team, and as a team leader.
- Ability to inspire others to action
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- A willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and occasional weekends
- Experience that is helpful but not necessary:
- Experience in door-to-door organizing
- At least one year of community organizing experience or community-building work
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Arabic, or Somali are welcome
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
This position is based in Portland and will report to MPA’s Organizing Director, Jennie Pirkl.
The position is full time. MPA currently has a salary floor of $30,000 and we expect this position to be in the range of $35-45,000. MPA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a one-page letter of interest, resume, and three references via e-mail to MPA Organizing Director Jennie Pirkl: Jennie@mainepeoplesalliance.org. Please title your email “Portland organizing position: (your name)”.