The mission of Maine People’s Alliance is to create a world where everyone has what they need, contributes what they can, and no one is left behind.
By forming community with people from all walks of life, we build power, inspire new leaders, heal divisions—particularly across lines of race—and win campaigns that change what is politically possible.
MPA is currently accepting applications for part-time organizing fellows located across the state. Organizing fellows will work with members by recruiting new volunteers, meeting need requests through Mainers Together, and building a team that moves the mission of the organization forward. This is a part-time, temporary position, working 10 hours a week for 6 months, reporting directly to MPA’s Organizing Director.
MPA seeks organizing fellows whose responsibilities will include supporting MPA’s campaigns through:
- Building community through the MPA project Mainers Together
- Doing weekly recruitment of new MPA members
- Developing local activities, trainings, and committees (that are parallel to activities and committees in other regions and that align with organizational campaigns) to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities for MPA members
- Identify leadership potential in MPA volunteers, and developing work plans that provide opportunities for new skills and leadership opportunities
- Creating and maintaining a local leadership team that helps with recruitment, running committees, and developing new leaders
- Utilizing social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and online organizing tools (Zoom, OutVote, Slack) to stay connected with volunteers + other leaders and meeting goals for engaging volunteers through these tools
- Meeting grassroots fundraising goals
A qualified applicant should possess:
- Self-motivation and an ability to successfully work independently, as part of a team, and as a team leader.
- Ability to inspire others to action
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- A willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and occasional weekends
Experience that is helpful but not necessary:
- Experience in door-to-door organizing
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Arabic, or Somali are welcome
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Basic understanding of social media + online organizing tools
To apply, download our application form, paste it into the body of an email according to the instructions in the form, and send your completed application to email@example.com with the subject line “MPA Organizing Fellow Application”.